eclectic design inspiration

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Round Top, Texas

It's that time of year...
Bluebonnets at the family farm in Texas, taken by my cousin Jennifer just a couple of days ago

Today marks the official kick-off of the biggest antiques fair in the United States, and I am SO wishing I was there (with a zero-balance credit card, of course). Twice a year, the open fields around tiny Round Top, Texas (pop. 77) turn into the mecca of antiquing as thousands of dealers and shoppers from all over the United States congregate along country Highway 237 between Austin and Houston to literally shop bargain till they drop.

You know how a lot of families look forward all year to ski vacations, week-long trips to the coast, or cruises in the Caribbean? Well, this is the big event my family has looked forward to every year since I was in middle school. My poor brother! ;) With my mom, sister, grandmother, aunt and cousin alongside me repeating the mantra, "If you love it, get it!" we've come away with quite the collection of interesting things over the years. My personal favorites that I have in my apartment? A 1920s chenille bedspread, a giant gastropod fossil, a vintage Mexican beer tray and a pair of wooden school chairs I have pulled up to my kitchen table.

Two years ago I invited three of my Portland friends to make the trip with me, and before they booked their flights, I warned them: the purpose of this trip is to go antiquing - meaning 8 hour days of roaming fields of what-can-appear-to-be junk, looking for that perfect set of vintage dessert plates or antique coffee grinder. But the tradeoff would be some damn good country barbecue! And to my excitement, they were into it. Troopers!

So, a little reminiscing from Round Top, Spring 2010...

My friends and I in the middle of the shopping day. 


My favorite booth (below) - I couldn't stop drooling over the styling.





A family shot!

A little humor

More humor! Obsessed with the vultures.

My sister, aunt and mom trying some candied jalapenos ...  amazing stuff. Seriously.



Those suitcases came back to Portland with me and served as a nightstand for a couple of years. 

See, they have guy stuff too! ;)

And I leave you with the best pic of all.... my friend Michelle and I with beloved Blue Bell ice cream cones, and I look like I belong on King of the Hill. Love this photo for that reason.


If you live in Texas, try try try to make it out there this coming weekend or next (it lasts for 10 whole days) and if you don't live in Texas but love flea markets and antiques - put it on your bucket list. You won't be disappointed!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love the sharing of ideas and getting to know you, so thank you for your comment! It really makes my day!